- Integrated digital resources. The Rokwire platform is an open source software platform for mobile devices. It enables the integration of a community’s digital resources, data streams, and services. Rokwire is building a comprehensive digital ecosystem for mobile apps.
- Open source development. The source code of the Rokwire platform is open and available to all from the University of Illinois under the Apache 2.0 free software license. We are fostering a vibrant open source community to develop the platform.
- Apps developed on the Rokwire platform. The Rokwire platform affords rapid development and deployment of mobile applications. Rokwire tools enable communities to integrate digital resources using mobile technologies to deliver a range of services. Mobile apps built on Rokwire, such as the Illinois App and COVID apps, are customized for specific communities and purposes.
The mobile app currently in use at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign campus is the Illinois App.
The Illinois App: A student’s companion to connect with campus experience, services and events.
New features in v 2.5.
- Resource Guide
- Quick Polls
Safer Illinois App
In August of 2020, Rokwire rolled out the Safer Illinois App to support the University of Illinois comprehensive COVID-19 mitigation program. The app was retired in February of 2022.
Safer Illinois Features
- Coordinated virus testing
- Delivered test results
- Displayed building access status pass
- Provided community health recommendations
- Provided proximity-based exposure notifications
Other COVID-19 Apps
Customized variants of Safer Illinois, developed by our service partner Rokmetro, have been deployed at dozens of institutions, including universities, high schools, K-12 schools, and large museums such as the Smithsonian. Some of these apps are still in use as of 2022.